In 2003, representatives of accredited social work education programs in Alabama and the Alabama Department of Human Resources joined together to create the Alabama Higher Education Consortium on Child Welfare. Current academic partners in the Consortium are social work programs at:
Alabama A & M University
Alabama State University
Jacksonville State University
University of Alabama
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of Montevallo
University of North Alabama
University of South Alabama
The primary purpose of the Consortium is to provide high quality undergraduate and graduate social work education to current and prospective public child welfare workers and enhance training opportunities for child welfare workers throughout Alabama. The Consortium is an arena in which social work educators and representatives of the Alabama Department of Human Resources can explore and address issues and concerns in the spirit of collaboration.
The Consortium seeks:
- To recruit and enroll qualified undergraduate and graduate students in programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education accredited in Alabama that support a child welfare emphasis in program curriculum.
- To recruit to social work education child welfare workers in Alabama who currently provide direct services, supervise staff, or administer programs for the Department of Human Resources. The focus is to advance their skills through additional professional education. An emphasis is placed on recruiting M.S.W. students with career interests in child welfare and permanency planning.
- To ensure that on-going training needs of existing child welfare workers are addressed through training institutes provided by qualified individuals with a strong commitment to strengths-based child welfare practice.
The Consortium meets each fall and spring. Recent activities of the Consortium include:
- Funding of stipends for students interested in child welfare careers
- Regional workshops for current child welfare personnel
- An annual statewide fall social work conference focusing on child welfare practice
- Initiation of an evaluation component focusing on employment of former stipend holders in the child welfare system
- Enhancement of child welfare teaching and curriculum
- Collaborative development of model child welfare case studies to be used in teaching
Click here to view the list of Child Welfare Consortium Members.