Additional credits may be required by the student’s academic committee, depending on the subject matter of the dissertation.
Summary of Ph.D. Requirements:
- Social Work Research Coursework, 15 hrs.
- Substantive Social Work Courses, 16 hrs.
- MSW Coursework (Maximum), 12 hrs.
- Minor Coursework (Minimum),12 hrs.
- Total Coursework Hours, 55 hrs.
- Dissertation (Minimum), 24 hrs.
- Statistics (Depends on option) at least, 6 hrs.
This is an elaboration of the required program of study. Students may take more courses.
Research (15 hrs.):
- SW 620 (Social Work Research I) 3 hrs., Fall
- SW 621 (Social Work Research II) 3 hrs., Spring
Two (2) of the following (at least 6 hrs.):
- SW 622 (Instrumentation & Measurement) – 3 hrs., Fall
- SW 623 (Seminar in Qualitative Research) – 3 hrs., Fall
- SW 629 (Special Topics in Social Work Research) 3 hrs., Variable
Substantive Social Work (16 hrs.) All students take SW 600, SW 601, SW 605, SW 640, SW 648.
- SW 600 (Social Work and the Welfare State) 3 hrs., Spring
- SW 601 (Seminar in Doctoral Education) 1 hr., Fall
- SW 605 (Social Work Education) 8 hrs., Spring
- SW 640 (Conceptualizations of Social Work Practice) 3 hrs., Fall
- SW 648 (Special Topics – Selected Professional Issues), 3 hrs., Variable
- SW 660 (Independent Study) May not be taken more than once without permission from the PhD Program Chair. 3 hrs.
Minor (12 or more hrs.)
Statistical Proficiency: There are four (4) approved sequences. 6 hrs.
- Community Health Sciences (6 hrs.)
- Political Science (6 hrs.)
- College of Education (6 hrs.) at The University of Alabama
- Department of Biostatistics (6 hrs.) at The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Students are advised to consult with the PhD Office concerning plans for statistics.