- BA, Centre College
- MSW, Florida State University
- PhD, Florida State University
Areas of Interest and Expertise:
- Behavioral health promotion and education
- Family caregiving
- Mental health
- Military and veterans
- Managing Editor of the journal Research on Social Work Practice. Research on Social Work Practice is published bi-monthly, and is a disciplinary journal devoted to the publication of empirical research concerning the assessment methods and outcomes of social work practice. It has the highest impact factor of all true social work journals indexed in the Web-of-Knowledge, and it has over 8000 subscribers.
- Chair of the military social work track, with our accreditation body, the Council of Social Work Education.
- Co-chair of the 2016 Service Member to Civilian: A National Summit on Improving Transitions.
- Primary Investigator of the AL-SBIRT program, which will incorporate alcohol and drug screening, brief interventions and referral to treatment into primary care settings to address the need for integrated substance use disorder prevention in Alabama
Phone: (205) 348-4416
- Washington, K. T., McElroy, J., Albright, D. L., Oliver, D. P., Lewis, A., Meadows, S., & Elliott, S. (2015). Experiences of Sexual and Gender Minorities Caring for Adults with Non-AIDS-Related Chronic Illnesses. Social Work Research, 39(2), 71-81.
- Albright, D. L., Weiss, E. L., & Nedjat-Haiem, F. R. (2015). Introduction to the Aging Military Veterans Special Section. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 58(4), 382-385.
- Canada, K. E., Brinkley, A., Peters, C., & Albright, D. L. (2015). Military veterans: Therapeutic journaling in a veterans treatment court. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 28(2), 113-128.
- Albright, D. L. (2015). Bridging the gap: Creative expression and military veterans. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 28(2), 71-72.
- Albright, D. L., Oliver, D. P., & Demiris, G. (2014). Reaction to caregiving by hospice caregivers upon enrollment. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 1049909114531327.
- Canada, K. E., & Albright, D. L. (2014).Veterans in the criminal justice system and the role of social work. Journal of Forensic Social Work, 4, 84-62.
- Ratkowski, K. L., Washington, K. T., Craig, K. W., & Albright, D. L. (2014). The Stress of Sadness The Most Stressful Symptoms for Hospice Family Caregivers. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 1049909114540034.
- Pelts, M. D., Rolbiecki, A. J., & Albright, D. L. (2014). Wounded bonds: A review of the social work literature on gay, lesbian and bisexual military service members and veterans. Journal of Social Work, 1468017314548120.
- Pelts, M. D., Rolbiecki, A. J., & Albright, D. L. (2014). LGBTQ and student veterans. In J. E. Coll & E. L. Weiss (Eds.), Student veterans in human service programs: A primer for administrators, faculty and academic advisers.
- Rolbiecki, A. J., Pelts, M. D., & Albright, D. L. (2014). Military sexual trauma and the university community. In J. E. Coll & E. L. Weiss (Eds.), Student veterans in human service programs: A primer for administrators, faculty and academic advisers.
- Parker Oliver, D., Washington, K. T., Kruse, R., Albright, D. L., Lewis, A., & Demiris, G. (2014). Hospice family members’ perceptions and experiences with end of life care in the nursing home. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 15 (10) 744-750. PMCID: PMC4177958.
- Pelts, M. D., & Albright, D. L. (2014). Critical synthesis package: Interpreter scale (IS). MedEdPORTAL; 2014. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9845.
- Brendel, K. E., Maynard, B. R., Albright, D. L., & Bellomo, M. (2014). Effects of school-based interventions with military-connected students: A systematic review. Research on Social Work Practice.
- Pelts, M. D., Rolbiecki, A. J., & Albright, D. L. (2014). An update to among the missing: Lesbian and gay content in social work journals. Social Work, 59, 131-138.
- Albright, DL, Kruse RL, Parker Oliver D, Washington K, Cagle J, Demiris, G. (2014). Testing the factorial validity of scores from the caregiver pain medicine questionnaire (CPMQ). J Pain Symptom Mangement 48 (1) 99-109. PMCID: PMC4022713.
- Parker Oliver D, Albright DL, Washington K, Wittenberg-Lyles E, Gage A, Mooney M, Demiris G. (2013). Hospice caregiver depression: The evidence surrounding the greatest pain of all. Journal of Social Work in End of Life and Palliative Care, 9, 256-271. PMCID: NIHMSID 483751
- Albright, D. L., & Canada, K. E. (2013). Veterans treatment courts for reducing criminal recidivism: A systematic review. Campbell Collaboration, Title Proposal.
- Parker Oliver, D., Albright, D. L., Kruse, R. L., Wittenberg-Lyles, E., & Demiris, G. (2013). Caregiver evaluation of the ACTIVE intervention: “It was like we were sitting at the table with everyone.” American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Care, 31, 444-453.
- Parker Oliver D, Wittenberg-Lyles E, Washington K, Kruse R, Albright, DL, Baldwin P, Boxer A, Demiris G. (2013). Hospice caregivers’ concerns with pain: “I’m not a doctor, and I don’t know if I helped her go faster or slower”. J Pain Symptom Manage 46(6) 846-858. PMCID: NIHMSID 472959.
- Albright, D. L. & Thyer, B. A. Evidence-based practice. (2012). In C. F. Figley (Ed.). Encyclopedia of trauma. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Parker, A. M., Meredith, L. S., Albright, D. L., Burns, R. M., & Gaillot, S. J. (2012). Informing current and former service members and their families about traumatic brain injury. RAND TR-1123-OSD. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation
- Hayton, C. J. & Albright, D. L. (2012). The military vanguard for desegregation: Civil Rights Era war comics and racial integration. ImageTexT: Interdisciplinary Comic Studies, 6(2), n. pag.
- Stehberg, J., Albright, D. L., & Weiss, E. L. (2012). The neurobiology of PTSD and cognitive processing therapy (CPT). In A. Rubin, E. L. Weiss, & J. E. Coll (Eds.), Handbook of Military Social Work (pp. 99-111). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley & Sons.
- Albright, D. L. (2011). [Review of the book Research synthesis and meta-analysis: A step-by-step approach (4 ed.)]. Research on Social Work Practice 21, 119.
- Pignotti, M., & Albright, D. L. (2010). Mixing apples and oranges and other methodological problems with a meta-analysis of long term psychodynamic psychotherapy. Clinical Social Work Journal. DOI 10.1007/s10615-010-0297-y
- Albright, D. L., & Thyer, B. A. (2010). A test of the validity of the LCSW examination: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Social Work Research, 34, 229-234.
- Albright, D. L., & Thyer, B. A. (2010). EMDR is not an empirically supported treatment for combat-related PTSD…yet: A response to Elisha C. Hurley, DMin, Colonel, USA (retired). Behavioral Interventions, 25, 355-360.
- Albright, D. L., & Thyer, B. A. (2010). Does eye movement desensitization and reprocessing reduce posttraumatic stress disorder symptomatology in combat veterans? Behavioral Interventions, 25, 1-19.
- Albright, D. L. (2010). [Review of the book Introduction to statistical methods for clinical trials]. Research on Social Work Practice, 20, 243-244.
- Albright, D. L., & Thyer, B. A. (2010). Applying the evidence-based practice model to social work. In Otto, H-U, Polutta, A. & Ziegler, H. (Eds.), What Works: Welches Wissen braught die Soziale Arbeit? Zum Konzept evidenzbasierter Praxis (pp. 137-149). Farmington Hills, MI and Opladen, Germany: Verlag Barbara Budrich. (In German.)
- Figley, C. R., & Albright, D. L., & Figley, K. R. (2010). Combat, combat stress injuries, and shame. In J. Kauffman (Ed.), The shame of death, grief, and trauma (pp. 59-74). Florence, KY: Taylor & Francis, Inc.
- Albright, D. L., & Rosellini, G. (2009). What every counselor needs to know about military deployment. In J. Webber & B. Mascari (Eds.), Terrorism, trauma, and tragedies: A counselor’s guide to preparing and responding (3rd ed., pp. 59-64). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association Foundation.
- Albright, D. L. (2009). [Review of the book Evidence-based outcome research: A practical guide to conducting randomized controlled trials for psychosocial intervention]. Research on Social Work Practice, 19, 370-371.
- Albright, D. L. (2009). [Review of the books Strategies for managing stress after war: Veteran’s workbook and guide to wellness and Clinicians guide to treating stress after war: Education and coping interventions for veterans. Research on Social Work Practice, 19, 374.
- Hayton, C. J., & Albright, D. L. (2009). O Captain! My Captain! Making sense of the death of Captain America. In R. G. Weiner (Ed.), Captain America and the struggle of the superhero: Critical essays (pp. 15-23). Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press.
- Albright, D. L. (2008). [Review of the book Mistakes were made (but not by me): Why we justify foolish beliefs, bad decisions, and hurtful acts]. Analysis of Social Issues and Public Policy, 8, 1-2.