- BA, University of New Orleans
- MSW, Louisiana State University
- PhD, University of Texas at Arlington
Areas of Interest and Expertise:
- Health disparities
- Community engagement
- Social justice
- Human rights
- Race relations
Phone: (205) 348-4586
- Editor of the Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship (JCES). JCES is a peer-reviewed international journal through which faculty, staff, students, and community partners disseminate scholarly works. JCES integrates teaching, research, and community engagement in all disciplines, addressing critical problems identified through a community-participatory.
- Williams, J., Simon, Cassandra, & Bell, Amber (2015). Missing the Mark: The Image of the Social Work Profession in an African-American Community. Journal of Ethnic And Cultural Diversity in Social Work, 24(1), 56-70. doi 10.1080/15313204.2014.954.
- Ai, A., Plummer, C., Kanno, H., Heo, G., Appel, H., Simon, C., & Spigner, C. (2011). Positive traits versus previous trauma: Racial different correlates with PTSD symptoms among Hurricane Katrina-Rita volunteers. Journal of Community Psychology, 39, 4, 402-420.
- Ai, A., Plummer, C., Heo, G., Lemieux, C., Simon, C., Taylor, P., & Copeland, V. (2011) Racial identity-related differential attributions of inadequate responses to Hurricane Katrina: A social identity perspective. Race and Social Problems, 3, 13-24.
- Limeaux, C., Plummer, C., Ai, A., Simon, C. E., & Richardson, R., (2010). Mental health, substance use, and adaptive coping among social work students in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Journal of Social Work Education, 46(3), 391-410.
- Roff, L.L., Simon, C.E., Nelson-Gardell, D., & Pleasants, H.M. (2009). Spiritual support and African-American breast cancer survivors. Affilia 24(3), 285-299.
- Simon, C.E., Perry, A., & Roff, L.L. (2008). Psychosocial and career mentoring: Female African American social work education administrators’ experiences. Journal of Social Work Education, 44, 9-22.
- Simon, C. E., Crowther, M., & Higgerson, H. (2007). The stage specific role of spirituality among African American women throughout the breast cancer experience. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 13(1), 26-34.
- Roff, L.L., Klemmack, D.L., Simon C.E., Cho, G.W., Parker, M.W., Koenig, H.G., Sawyer-Baker, P., & Allman, R.M. (2006). Functional limitations and religious service attendance among African American and white older adults. Health & Social Work, 31(4), 247-255.
- Roff, L. L., Butkeviciene, R., Simon, C., & Klemmack, D. L. (2006). Levels of death anxiety: A comparison of American and Lithuanian health and social service personnel. Death Studies, 30(7), 665-675.
- Simon, C. E. (2006). Breast cancer screening, cultural beliefs and diverse populations. Health and Social Work, 31 (1), 36-43.
- Simon, C. E. (2006). Review of the book, Disability Issues For Social Workers And Human Service Professionals In The Twenty-First Century. Families in Society: The Journal of Contemporary Social Services, 87, (1), 151-52.
- Simon, C. E., Pryce, J.G., Roff, L.L., & Klemmack, D. (2006). Secondary traumatic stress and oncology social work: Protecting compassion from fatigue and compromising the worker’s worldview. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 23(4), 1-14.