- BSW, University of Pittsburgh
- MSW, University of Pittsburgh
- MPH, University of Pittsburgh
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh
Areas of Interest and Expertise:
- End of life care
- Health care
- Social work ethics
Phone: (205) 348-4447
- Editor of The Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, published by Taylor and Francis. The Journal of Social Work in End-of Life and Palliative Care presents research and original articles that explore issues crucial to individuals with serious, life-threatening and life-limiting illnesses and their families, including interdisciplinary interventions, practice innovations, practice evaluations, end-of-life decision-making, grief and bereavement, and ethical and moral issues across the lifespan.
- Black, K. & Csikai, E.L. (2015). Dying in an age of choice. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, 11(1), 27-49.
- Reese, D. & Csikai, E.L. (2015). Measuring Social Work Outcomes with the Social Work Assessment Tool (SWAT). National Association of Social Workers: Health Section Newsletter, Spring.
- Allen, R. S., Azuero, C.B., Csikai, E.L., Parmelee, P.A., Shin, H.J., Kvale, E., Durkin, D.W., & Burgio, L.D. (2015). “It was very rewarding for me …”: Senior volunteers’ experiences with implementing a reminiscence and creative activity intervention. The Gerontologist. (published online first February 2015).
- Weisenfluh, S.M., & Csikai, E.L. (2013). Professional and Educational Needs of Hospice and Palliative Care Social Workers. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life & Palliative Care, 9, 58-73.
- Csikai, E.L., & Weisenfluh, S. (2012). Hospice and palliative social workers’ engagement in life review interventions. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, 1049909112449067.
- Csikai, E. (2011). Developing the science of end-of-life and palliative care research: National Institute of Nursing Research Summit. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life Care, 7, 291-299.
- Arriaza, P., Martin, S., & Csikai, E. (2011). An assessment of hospice bereavement programs for Hispanics. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life & Palliative Care, 7, 121-138.
- Csikai, E. L., Whalen, M., Otto, J., & Durkin, D. (2011). Adult protection services workers’ experiences with serious illness and death. Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect, 23(2), 1-21.
- Csikai, E., & Martin, S. (2010). Bereaved hospice caregivers’ views of the transition to hospice. Social Work in Health Care, 49, 387-400.
- Dégi, C., Balog, P., Kopp, M., Kallay, E., Thayer, J. F., & Csikai, E. L. (2010). Depressive symptoms, negative life events and incidence of lifetime treatment of cancer in the Hungarian population. Journal of Cognitive and Behavioral Sciences, 10(1), 39-57.
- Csikai, E.L., & Black, K. (2009). Advance care planning in the delivery of adult protective services. Journal of Social Work Research, 35, 311-321.
- Csikai, E.L. (2009). Book Review: For one more day by Mitch Albom. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, 4(3), 252-254.
- Csikai, E. (2009). Care for the dying through hospice and palliative care. In I. Semsei (Ed.), Social Gerontology in Hungary, (pp. 472-481). University of Debrecen: Debrecen, Hungary.
- Csikai, E.L. (2009). Communication related to end-of-life care and decisions (pp. 169-188). In J. L. Werth & D. Blevins (Eds.), Decision-making near the end of life: Issues, developments and future directions. NY: Routledge Press.
- Csikai, E.L. (2009). Opportunities for international social work: A Fulbright experience. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, 4(3), 173-188.
- Csikai, E.L., & Durkin, D. (2009). Perceived educational needs and preparation of adult protective services workers for practice with end-of-life issues. Gerontology and Geriatrics Education, 30(2), 146-163.
- Csikai, E. (2008). End-of-life decisions. In T. Mizrahi & L. E. Davis (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Social Work (20th ed., pp. 126-132). Washington, DC: NASW Press/Oxford University Press.
- Csikai, E., Herrin, C., Tang, M., & Church, W. T. (2008). Serious illness, injury, and death in child protection and preparation for end-of-life situations among child welfare services workers. Child Welfare, 87(6), 49-70.
- Csikai, E. L., & Jones, B. (2007). Teaching resources for end-of-life and palliative care. Chicago: Lyceum Books, Inc.
- Csikai, E. L. (2006). Bereaved hospice caregivers’ perceptions of the end-of-life care communication process and the involvement of health care professionals. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 9(6), 1300-1309.