- BA, Auburn University
- MS, Auburn University
- DSW, University of Alabama
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, National Institute of Aging, Applied Aging, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Areas of Interest and Expertise:
- Successful aging
- Spirituality and health
- Translational research
- Sustainable interventions with communities and organizations
Phone: (205) 348-6766
- Toseland, R. W., & Parker, M. W. (2015). Older adults with dementia. In B. Berkman (Ed.), Handbook on Aging & Social Work (pp.377-386). Oxford Press: New York.
- Parker, M. W., Greenberg, J., Simpson, G. & Toseland, R. W. (2015). Caregivers to older & disabled adults. In B. Berkman (Ed.), Handbook on Aging & Social Work (pp.443-452). Oxford Press: New York, NY.
- Parker, M.W., Dunn, L.L., MacCall, S.L., Goetz, J., Park, N., Li, A.X., Sims, S., Harrell, R., Lee, H., Grant, E., Spencer, C., Martin, S.S., Khalifa, D.A., & Koenig, H.G. (2013). Helping to create an age-friendly city: A town & gown community engagement project. Social Work & Christianity, 40(4), 422-445.
- Elliott, T.R., & Parker, M.W. (2012). Family caregivers and health care providers: Developing partnerships for a continuum of care and support. In R.C. Talley & J.E. Crews (Eds.), Multiple dimensions of caregiving and disability: Research, practice, policy, (pp. 135-152), New York, NY: Springer.
- Sun, F., Park, N. S., Roff, L. L., Klemmack, D. L., Parker, M. W., Koenig, H. G., Sawyer, P., & Allman, R. M. (2012). Predicting the trajectories of depressive symptoms among Southern, community-dwelling older adults: The role of religiousness. Aging and Mental Health, 16(2), 189-198.
- Houston, J.M., & Parker, M.W. (2011). A vision for the aging Church: Renewing ministry for and by seniors. Westmont, IL, InterVarsity Publisher.
- Park, N.S., Roff, L.L., Sun, F., Parker, M.W., Klemmack, D.L., Sawyer, P., & Allman, R.M. (2010). Transportation difficulty of Black and White rural older adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 29(1), 70-88.
- Parker, M. W. (2008). Building partnerships with African American and White Churches to promote a good old age for all. Generations, Summer, 38- 42.
- Park, N.S., Klemmack, D.L., Roff, L.L., Parker, M.W., Koenig, H.G., Sawyer, P., & Allman, R.M. (2008). Religiousness and longitudinal trajectories in elders’ functional status. Research on Aging, 30(3), 279-298.
- Klemmack, D.L., Roff, L.L., Parker, M.W., Koenig, H.G., Sawyer-Baker, P., & Allman, R.M. (2007) A cluster analysis typology of religiousness/spirituality among older adults. Research in Aging, 29(2), 163-183.
- Parker, M.W., & Toseland, R. W. (2006). Social work practice and caregiving at a distance. In B. Berkman (Ed.), Handbook of Social Work in Health and Aging. New York: Oxford University Press, 391-406.
- Roff, L.L., Klemmack, D.L., Simon C.E., Cho, G.W., Parker, M.W., Koenig, H.G., Sawyer-Baker, P., & Allman, R.M. (2006). Functional limitations and religious service attendance among African American and white older adults. Health & Social Work, 31(4), 247-255.
- Toseland, R. W., & Parker, M.W. (2006) Social work practice with older adults suffering from significant dementia. In B. Berkman (Ed), Handbook of Social Work in Health and Aging. New York: Oxford University Press.