About Induction into the Alabama Social Work Hall of Fame
Alabama Social Work Hall of Fame inductees are chosen through a rigorous process after having been nominated by their peers who are supporters of the Social Work Society Annual Fund. Founded in 1997 by the Social Work Society of The University of Alabama School of Social Work, the Alabama Social Work Hall of Fame honors the accomplishments of some of Alabama’s most distinguished leaders in the field of social work.
Criteria for selection to the Hall of Fame
- Must be retired from paid, full-time Social Work employment, be 65 or older, or be deceased
- Must have character consistent with the standards of the Social Work profession
- Must have an academic degree in professional social work from an accredited school of social work and have practiced, engaged in research, or have been an educator for professional practice
- Must be recognized as a highly influential leader in practice or education for social work, or in governmental bodies or institutions of the community
- Must have shown originality and creativity in making outstanding contributions either to clinical practice; policy/practice; the legislative process in the interest of social welfare; professional literature; social work research; or administration, resource development, or community well-being
- Must have resided in Alabama for at least some part of his or her life
2019 Nominations Open
The nominating period for 2019 Alabama Social Work Hall of Fame is now open. Social Work Society Annual Fund supporters who contributed to the school’s annual fund between Oct. 1, 2017, and Sept. 30, 2018, may submit 2019 nominations through July 12, 2019.
Nominations can be made in two categories: Practice/Administration or Education/Research. When your nomination is received, it will be directed to the chair of the Hall of Fame Committee. The Committee will review the nominations based on criteria for selection in each category. The committe’s recommendation for final candidates will be forward to UA’s Office of the President and the Social Work Society Board of Directors for review and final decision.
Questions? Please contact SSW Events Coordinator Lindsey Johnson at email@example.com or (205) 348-5384.