Social Work students are encouraged to participate in job preparation and career success opportunities through the School of Social Work and the University.
Through the UA Career Center, students can seek help with career planning, resumes and developing job-search strategies. The Career Center also hosts career fairs, mock interviews and employer information sessions to connect students, alumni and employers.Connect with the UA Career Center
Academic Year 2020-21: The Year of Career Excellence (Career Coaching w/Becky Corbett)
Student Commitment to Excellence: Intentionally take action to enhance my Career Success Toolbox: Show up. Be prepared. Leverage resources.
Coach Becky S. Corbett, Corbett* Commitment to Excellence: Be fully present for students during group coaching sessions and respond to student emails weekly by Sunday, 8pm central.
Career Excellence Coaching: 60 minutes
Purpose: Create your Career Success Toolbox by participating in group coaching and career consultation.
Goals: Students will …
- Interact with colleagues to strengthen leadership skills and receive feedback on career documents.
- Bring resumes for review (be prepared to share your screen), brainstorm networking action steps, practice interview questions, ask specific salary and benefits negotiation questions, and more.
Facilitator: Coach Corbett
Career Coaching with Corbett & Colleagues: 90 minutes
Purpose: Expand knowledge for career success.
Goals: Students will…
- Learn from Coach Corbett’s colleagues and begin to expand your professional network (initial 60 minutes).
- Receive coaching and career consultation (last 30 minutes).
SAVE-THE-DATE: ADD dates and Career Coaching Room to your calendar TODAY!
Jan. 27 – Career Coaching with Corbett & Colleagues (5-6:30 p.m. CT)
Theme: Job Search During Unpredictable Times
* Learn how the CARES Act helps you
* Understand flexibility is key
* Identify your initial steps to move forward with your job search.
Guest: Jennifer Luna, MSSW, Director of the DiNitto Career Center at the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work and President of Jennifer Luna Consulting
Feb. 3 – Noontime Knowledge (noon-1 p.m. CT)
(check Feb. 1 Student Newsletter for Zoom info)
Theme: Leading ME
* Enhance your leadership skills by focusing on your professional and personal development
* Learn the Leading ME Principles℠: Leadership Begins with Me; It’s All About Relationships; and It’s All About Action
* Identify one Leading ME strategy to move to action
Feb. 24 – Career Coaching with Corbett & Colleagues (5-6:30 p.m. CT)
Theme: My 2021 Passions — Get Organized and Take Initiative
* Learn healthy habit techniques to incorporate into your daily living.
* Turn your vision into a reality and identify one goal to move to action today.
* Discuss self-care strategies to help you recharge and create an ongoing plan for taking care of YOU.
March 10 – Career Excellence Coaching (noon-1 p.m. CT)
March 24 – Career Coaching with Corbett & Colleagues (5-6:30 p.m. CT)
Theme: $alary & Benefit$ Negotiation
* Understand the value of “Never ever, ever, accept the first offer.”
* Learn key steps to follow when you receive a job offer.
* Identify employment benefits to inquire about during the negotiation.
Facilitator: Jennifer Luna, MSSW, director of the DiNitto Career Center at the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work and president of Jennifer Luna Consulting; Becky S. Corbett, MSW, ACSW, President & CEO, BSCorbett Consulting and Career Services Consultant, The University of Alabama School of Social Work.
April 7 – Career Excellence Coaching: noon-1 p.m. CT
April 21– Career Coaching with Corbett & Colleagues: 5-6:30 p.m. CT
May 5 – Career Excellence Coaching: noon-1 p.m. CT
May 19 – Career Coaching with Corbett & Colleagues: 5-6:30 p.m. CT
June 2 – Career Excellence Coaching: noon-1 p.m. CT
June 16 – Career Coaching with Corbett & Colleagues: 5-6:30 p.m. CT
June 30 – Career Excellence Coaching: noon-1 p.m. CT
*Becky Schwartz Corbett, MSW, ACSW is a national speaker, trainer, and executive coach in intentional growth, leadership and career development, and time management and Producktivity®. She is author of The Bridge to Hope & Healing: 9 Principles to Guide You in a Moment of Crisis with 30 years of executive management experience. Coach Corbett is President & CEO of BSCorbett Consulting; a member of the Academy of Certified Social Workers; Career Services Consultant for UASSW; and a John Maxwell Team Certified Coach, Speaker, and Teacher. She is fiercely dedicated to inspiring people to lead and helping communities, organizations, and individuals move ideas to action.
Coach Corbett can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students may download and print the following job preparation and job search resources:
Resource: Social Work & Career Preparation Website Resources
Resource: Resume Format Template
Resource: Resume Checklist
Resource: Resume Action Words
Resource: Resume Action Words by Category
Resource: Interview Checklist
Resource: Sample Interview Questions
Resource: Sample Questions for Employer
Resource: Email Signature Template
Resource: 5 Steps for a Successful Job Search
Resource: Hand-Written Thank You Note
Resource: Cover Letter Structure
Resource: Interview Thank You Note
Resource: 5 Steps to a Successful Salary Negotiation
Resource: School of Social Work Career Resources
Resource: UA Career Center
Resource: LinkedIn and LinkedIn for Students
Resource: National Association of Social Workers (NASW) – professional organization
Resource: Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) – licensure information
Resource: The New Social Worker® – the social work careers magazine
The University of Alabama School of Social Work is committed to making its web resources accessible to all users, and welcomes comments or suggestions on access improvements. If you are unable to access the contents of these documents, please contact (205) 348-7027 or email@example.com.