The Youth Services Institute (YSI) is committed to serving youth involved in the juvenile justice system. The institute oversees the operation of three juvenile justice programs — the Working on Womanhood (WOW) program, the Continuum of Care Program (COCP), and the Trauma Systems Therapy (TST) program. Through agreements with the Alabama Department of Youth Services (DYS) and the Tuscaloosa Children’s Center, YSI provides assistance in the areas of:
- Program development and implementation
- Treatment consultation
- Practitioner training, development, and supervision
- Training needs assessments and the provision of training sessions
- Diversion grants and requests for proposals
- Program evaluation
- Grant proposals
- Research endeavors and data collection
The institute also assists with the facilitation of several other projects that impact adjudicated youth.
Housed within UA’s School of Social Work, YSI is one of 30 research centers/facilities at The University of Alabama.