Dr. M. Sebrena Jackson, MSW program director and assistant professor of social work, has been selected for the Council on Social Work Education’s (CSWE) 2019-2020 Program Director Academy cohort.
Dr. Jackson was selected to the academy by CSWE and its Council on Leadership Development. The academy is a leadership certificate program for current baccalaureate and master’s program directors who have been in their positions less than 3 years with a focus on topics related to program management competency domains and job functions.
The academy is designed to help new and recent program directors who are typically transitioning from faculty to administrative roles, often without prior training or experience in management and leadership inside or outside of the social work academy. The academy recognizes the transition directors must make and their need to acquire and build management skills to attain the competencies needed for this core leadership position.
The program requires a one-year commitment (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020) and includes participation in the following:
- A Summer Leadership Institute at CSWE in Alexandria, Virginia on July 25–27, 2019
- This face-to-face workshop with cohort participants is designed to build and strengthen administrative and leadership capacity with a focus on management competencies and leadership development for the director role.
- National leaders will speak on the following topics: strategic management, skills of supervision, communication, effective meetings, leadership self-assessment, and resource development as it relates to job function.
- A Lunch Panel Presentation on Diversity and Leadership and a Leadership Development Institute held at the CSWE Annual Program Meeting (APM) on October 23, 2019, in Denver, Colorado
- Cohort participants will also be invited to and introduced at several APM events including the National Association of Deans and Directors of Schools of Social Work Reception, the CSWE President’s Reception, and the Leadership Networking Reception.
- An online webinar series presented through the CSWE Learning Academy in spring 2020
- Optional mentorship opportunities with graduates from the Harvard Institutes of Higher Education and the Higher Education Resource Services scholarship programs.