For all but advanced-standing students, the MSW program at The University of Alabama is a sixty-semester-hour course of study. The program is offered both on campus in Tuscaloosa and in a distance learning (primarily online) format. Applicants are admitted to the on-campus option or to the distance learning format of the program. Once admitted, students may not switch formats without permission from the MSW program chair.
The first part of the MSW program is professional foundation content. Students typically complete their foundation coursework during the first semester (advanced standing) or first year (60-credit-hour) of enrollment. Typically, students enroll in advanced courses, including electives and course related to the student’s chosen concentration, only after they have completed their professional foundation courses.
Students may also enroll in the MSW program on a part-time basis. Part-time students typically complete the program in four years.
Information Sessions for Prospective Students
For students interested in the MSW program, we offer Information Sessions every other month to provide opportunities to learn more about the program and to engage with current students, faculty and staff.
Upcoming Information Session dates:
- January 21, 2017
- March 25, 2017
- May 13, 2017
- July 8, 2017
Sessions are held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and include:
- Breakfast with MSW Program Director Dr. Sebrena Jackson (optional)
- MSW Program overview and highlights
- Q & A with Registrar and Field Office Representative (lunch provided)
- Current student panel discussion
- Opportunity to begin the MSW application here on campus
- Campus tour (optional)
To register for an Information Session, please click here to fill out the registration form. If you have questions, please contact MSW Program Assistant Kelly Seaman at Kelly@ua.edu or 205-348-3944.
Field Placement Program for MSW Students
The School offers field education placements throughout the state of Alabama and occasionally in neighboring states. MSW students may also apply to complete their advanced field education placement (SW 595) in Washington, DC.
- MSW Orientation: Policies, Resources, and Advice.
- Online Pre-Orientation for Distance Learning Students.
- Academic credit for life experience and previous work experience will not be given in whole or in part in lieu of the field education course or any other course in the MSW program.
- Download a flyer about our Information Sessions for Prospective MSW Students.
- The departmental deadline for admission, stipends, and scholarships is February 1st for programs beginning in the summer and fall and September 1st for spring advanced standing. Graduate School application materials are due six weeks prior to the School of Social Work deadline.
- If you have need further information, please contact Amanda Moore by email at email@example.com, or by phone at (205) 348-5272.